Construction Activities – Week of November 28, 2022
The Connecticut Department of Transportation advises the following construction activities for the upcoming week:
- Town of Haddam
- Crews will be constructing a retaining wall along the southside of Route 82.
- Town of East Haddam
- No anticipated roadway work this week.
- Crews will be installing temporary work platforms under the bridge.
- Crews will be setting up containment followed by surface prep and priming on Span 2.
- Crews will continue with repair work of the swing span mechanical system to return full functionality to swing operations.
- No anticipated night work this week.
- Single lane closures on Route 82 will be occurring each day between 9am-3pm within the project limits, traffic flaggers will coordinate the alternating traffic sequence.
- All lanes will be reopened and operational during peak traffic hours.
- Effective November 11, 2022, any trucks that exceed 16 tons are restricted from using the East Haddam Swing Bridge, until further notice. Routine enforcement has been scheduled with the Connecticut State Police and Department of Motor Vehicles.
- The bridge will continue with the 2 daily manual openings of the swing span, the openings will occur at 10am and 1pm. Be advised that this schedule is subject to change if the bridge crew encounters reoccurring or new problems during the scheduled manual openings. Additionally, high winds (gusts above 25mph) could prevent the bridge tender from performing a manual swing, boaters are advised to monitor wind gusts on anticipated navigation day.
- Effective December 1, 2022 the swing span will no longer open to marine traffic, openings will resume on April 1, 2023.
Please be advised:
- Weekend work is not anticipated.
- Road signage will alert drivers to lane closures in the construction area. Please pay attention to road signage, slow down, and stay safe!
- Access to local businesses and residents within the work zones will be maintained.
- Unforeseen circumstances have the potential to impact all scheduled construction activities.
If you have any questions related to construction, please send an e-mail to [email protected]
For Media Inquiries:
Office of Communications