The Connecticut Department of Transportation advises the following construction activities for the upcoming week:
- Town of Haddam
- Crews will continue with retaining wall construction along the southside of Route 82.
- Town of East Haddam
- No daytime activities.
- Crews will work on Pier 1 repairs.
- Crews will continue with containment setup, followed by surface prep and priming on Spans 1 & 2.
- Crews will begin installing an overhead moveable crane on Span 2.
- Crews will continue with repair work of the swing span mechanical system to return full functionality to swing operations.
- Crews will continue with containment setup, followed by surface prep and priming on Span 2.
- Single lane closures on Route 82 will occur Monday through Friday between 9am-3pm within the project limits, traffic flaggers will coordinate the alternating traffic sequence.
- All lanes will be reopened and operational during peak traffic hours.
- Monday thru Friday – Beginning at 7pm each night the bridge will be closed to vehicular traffic until 6am the following morning.
- Saturday – Bridge closure to be determined. (update to follow on Thurs. 1/26)
Motorist alternative options to cross the Connecticut River during these overnight bridge closures will be as follows:
Traveling to/from the South – Use the signed detour utilizing the Baldwin Bridge (I-95 Old Saybrook).
Traveling to/from the North – utilize the Arrigoni Bridge (Middletown-Portland).
- The swing span is no longer opening to accommodate marine traffic passage, scheduled openings will resume on February 1, 2023.
Please be advised:
- Effective November 11, 2022, any trucks that exceed 16 tons are restricted from using the East Haddam Swing Bridge, until further notice. Routine enforcement has been scheduled with the Connecticut State Police and Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Project traffic CAMS (one on each side of the river) are available 24/7 to monitor the traffic conditions at the bridge, the camera feeds are viewable from our project website homepage.
- Road signage will alert drivers to lane closures in the construction area. Please pay attention to road signage, slow down, and stay safe!
- Access to local businesses and residents within the work zones will be maintained.
- Unforeseen circumstances have the potential to impact all scheduled construction activities.
If you have any questions related to construction, please send an e-mail to [email protected]