The Connecticut Department of Transportation advises the following construction activities for the upcoming week:
Town of Haddam
- Crews will be installing Micropiles.
Town of East Haddam
- No anticipated work activities this week.
- Crews will perform surface prep followed by priming on the Swing Span.
- Crews will continue installing an overhead moveable crane on Span 2.
- Crews will be working on priority steel repairs on Span 2.
- Crews will perform substructure repairs and install new pedestals on Pier 1.
- Crews will continue with repair work of the swing span mechanical system to return full functionality to swing operations.
- Crews will be working on the swing span portion of the bridge, replacing parts, other general maintenance and testing the operational functionality of the swing span.
- Single lane closures on Route 82 will occur Monday through Friday between 9am-3pm within the project limits, traffic flaggers will coordinate the alternating traffic sequence.
- All lanes will be reopened and operational during peak traffic hours.
- There will be complete bridge closures to vehicular traffic Wednesday through Friday. Be advised that Saturday and Sunday night closures may also occur if weeknights are lost. (Weekend updates will be provided on Thursdays to inform the public on the contractor’s weekend schedule for closures).
The road closures all start at 7:00pm and conclude at 6:00am the following morning.
Additionally, inclement weather could cause cancellations of overnight bridge closures, we will communicate cancellations if they occur.
Motorist alternative options to cross the Connecticut River during these overnight bridge closures will be as follows:
Traveling to/from the South – Use the signed detour utilizing the Baldwin Bridge (I-95 Old Saybrook).
Traveling to/from the North – utilize the Arrigoni Bridge (Middletown-Portland).
- The bridge tender will perform two daily manual openings of the swing span, the openings will occur (if needed) at 10am and 1pm. Be advised that this schedule is subject to change if the bridge crew encounters reoccurring or new problems during the scheduled manual openings. Additionally, high winds (gusts above 25mph) could prevent the bridge tender from performing a manual swing, boaters are advised to monitor wind gusts on anticipated navigation day.
Please be advised:
- Weekend work is not anticipated.
- Effective November 11, 2022, any trucks that exceed 16 tons are restricted from using the East Haddam Swing Bridge, until further notice. Routine enforcement has been scheduled with the Connecticut State Police and Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Project traffic WEBCAMS (one on each side of the river) are available 24/7 to monitor the traffic conditions at the bridge, the camera feeds are viewable from our project website homepage.
- Road signage will alert drivers to lane closures in the construction area. Please pay attention to road signage, slow down, and stay safe!
- Access to local businesses and residents within the work zones will be maintained.
- Unforeseen circumstances have the potential to impact all scheduled construction activities.
If you have any questions related to construction, please send an e-mail to [email protected]