The Connecticut Department of Transportation announces the following:
Beginning this week, the East Haddam Swing Bridge will reinstate limited openings for tall boats, these openings will occur two days a week as follows:
- Two openings every Thursday – 10am & 1pm
- Four openings every Sunday – 9am, 10am, 11am, and 12pm
This schedule will remain in place until additional repairs are made in the coming months to the electrical components of the swing span.
Boaters are advised that the swing span is still in a state of disrepair and that each of these openings will require monitoring by a team of engineers, if during an opening, the team witnesses anything that potentially puts the bridge at risk, all future openings will be canceled until further notice.
Also, the contractor has temporarily removed approximately 50 feet of their suspended scaffold to provide additional vertical clearance for boats that generally do not require the bridge to swing opening to pass through. The temporary scaffold removal was done in the channel that is closest to the East Haddam shoreline.
The tide clearance boards are recommended as the best reference for gauging clearance at time of passage, the boards are located on the swing span pivot pier and the bulkhead at Goodspeed, both have been adjusted to reflect the vertical clearances in locations of the contractor’s suspended scaffold. Be advised that there is approximately 3 feet of additional clearance in the location where the scaffold was temporarily removed.
Navigational beacons have been installed on the bridge to designate the channel.
Please be advised:
- You can receive TEXT Alerts for bridge closures and re-openings, closure cancellations, and any emergency closures. To Opt-in, text the word SWINGBRIDGE to 888777. (Message and Data rates may apply). In addition to SMS messages, if you would like to receive Swing Bridge open/closed status notices via email or a voice call from Everbridge, please click here to enter the required information. Message and data rates may apply. Reply HELP for help, STOP to Opt-out.
- Effective November 11, 2022, any trucks that exceed 16 tons are restricted from using the East Haddam Swing Bridge, until further notice. Routine enforcement by the Connecticut State Police and Department of Motor Vehicles will occur during this 16-ton restriction period.
- Project traffic WEBCAMS (one on each side of the river) are available 24/7 to monitor the traffic conditions at the bridge, the camera feeds are viewable from our project website homepage.
- Road signage will alert drivers to lane closures in the construction area. Please pay attention to road signage, slow down, and stay safe!
- Access to local businesses and residents within the work zones will be maintained.
- Unforeseen circumstances have the potential to impact all scheduled construction activities.
If you have any questions related to construction, please send an e-mail to [email protected]