The Connecticut Department of Transportation is announcing that 63-hour road closures of Route 82 over the Connecticut River (East Haddam Swing Bridge) originally scheduled to begin on June 4, 2023, will now commence on June 11, 2023.
These 63-hour road closures will occur every week through late Fall (excluding State observed holiday weekends).
The scheduled time for each closure will be from Sunday 8pm until Wednesday no later than 11am.
Inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances could cause cancellations of a 63-hour road closure.
Any changes to this schedule will be communicated in a timely manner.
To review this year’s 63-hour closure calendar click here
Motorist alternative options to cross the Connecticut River during these 63-hour road closures will be as follows:
Traveling to/from the South – Use the signed detour utilizing the Baldwin Bridge (I-95 Old Saybrook).
Traveling to/from the North – utilize the Arrigoni Bridge (Middletown-Portland).
Please be advised:
- You can now receive TEXT Alerts for bridge closures and re-openings, closure cancellations, and any emergency closures. To Opt-in, text the word SWINGBRIDGE to 888777. (Message and Data rates may apply). In addition to SMS messages, if you would like to receive Swing Bridge open/closed status notices via email or a voice call from Everbridge, please click here to enter the required information. Message and data rates may apply. Reply HELP for help, STOP to Opt-out.
- Effective November 11, 2022, any trucks that exceed 16 tons are restricted from using the East Haddam Swing Bridge, until further notice. Routine enforcement by the Connecticut State Police and Department of Motor Vehicles will occur during this 16-ton restriction period.
- Project traffic WEBCAMS (one on each side of the river) are available 24/7 to monitor the traffic conditions at the bridge, the camera feeds are viewable from our project website homepage.
- Road signage will alert drivers to lane closures in the construction area. Please pay attention to road signage, slow down, and stay safe!
- Access to local businesses and residents within the work zones will be maintained.
- Unforeseen circumstances have the potential to impact all scheduled construction activities.
If you have any questions related to construction, please send an e-mail to [email protected]