The Connecticut Department of Transportation announces the following:
Due to construction activities occurring on Monday (9/25) and Tuesday (9/26) the East Haddam Swing Bridge will be unable to swing open for tall marine vessels, all scheduled openings for these two days have been CANCELED.
The revised schedule for the days leading up to and following these cancellations will be as follows:
- Friday (9/22), Saturday (9/23) and Sunday (9/24) at 10am, 1pm, 3pm, 4pm, and 6pm.
- Wednesday (9/27) at 10am, 1pm, 3pm, and 4pm.
Beginning Thursday (9/28), the swing openings for tall marine vessels will revert to the previous schedule as following:
- Monday through Thursday at 10am, 1pm, and 4pm.
- Friday through Sunday at 10am, 1pm, 4pm, and 6pm.
These scheduled openings will be in place until further notice.
Be advised that on days with high winds, there may be times when the swing span cannot safely open to boaters, when wind gusts are 35 mph or higher swing span openings will be canceled. Mariners intending to pass through the bridge are encouraged to monitor the forecast on their navigation day.
Boaters are advised that the swing span is still in a state of disrepair, if during an opening, something occurs that could potentially put the bridge at risk, all future openings will be canceled until further notice.
The tide clearance board is recommended as the best reference for gauging clearance at time of passage, the board is located on the bulkhead at Goodspeed, it has been adjusted to reflect the vertical clearances to the contractor’s suspended scaffold.
Navigational beacons have been installed on the bridge to designate the channel.
Please be advised:
- You can receive TEXT Alerts for bridge closures and re-openings, closure cancellations, and any emergency closures. To Opt-in, text the word SWINGBRIDGE to 888777. (Message and Data rates may apply). In addition to SMS messages, if you would like to receive Swing Bridge open/closed status notices via email or a voice call from Everbridge, please click here to enter the required information. Message and data rates may apply. Reply HELP for help, STOP to Opt-out.
- Project WEBCAMS for monitoring traffic conditions on the bridge (one on each side of the river) and tide board clearance for maritime are available 24/7, the camera feeds are viewable from our project website homepage.
If you have any questions related to construction, please send an e-mail to [email protected]