The Connecticut Department of Transportation advises the following construction activities for the upcoming week:
Town of Haddam
- Crews will continue with bridge abutment rehabilitation.
Town of East Haddam
- No anticipated work activities this week.
- Crews will perform surface prep followed by priming on the Swing Span.
- Crews will continue installing an overhead moveable crane on Span 2.
- Crews will be working on priority steel repairs on Span 2.
- Crews will continue with repair work of the swing span mechanical system to return full functionality to swing operations.
- No anticipated night work this week.
- Single lane closures on Route 82 will occur Monday through Friday between 9am-3pm within the project limits, traffic flaggers will coordinate the alternating traffic sequence.
- All lanes will be reopened and operational during peak traffic hours.
- The bridge tender will perform two daily manual openings of the swing span, the openings will occur (if needed) at 10am and 1pm. Be advised that this schedule is subject to change if the bridge crew encounters reoccurring or new problems during the scheduled manual openings. Additionally, high winds (gusts above 25mph) could prevent the bridge tender from performing a manual swing, boaters are advised to monitor wind gusts on anticipated navigation day.
Please be advised:
- Weekend work is not anticipated.
- We are now sending TEXT Alerts for bridge closures and re-openings, closure cancellations, and any emergency closures. To Opt-in, text the word SWINGBRIDGE to 888777. (Message and Data rates may apply). In addition to SMS messages, if you would like to receive Swing Bridge open/closed status notices via email or a voice call from Everbridge, please click here to enter the required information. Message and data rates may apply. Reply HELP for help, STOP to Opt-out.
- Effective November 11, 2022, any trucks that exceed 16 tons are restricted from using the East Haddam Swing Bridge, until further notice. Routine enforcement by the Connecticut State Police and Department of Motor Vehicles will occur during this 16-ton restriction period.
- Project traffic WEBCAMS (one on each side of the river) are available 24/7 to monitor the traffic conditions at the bridge, the camera feeds are viewable from our project website homepage.
- Road signage will alert drivers to lane closures in the construction area. Please pay attention to road signage, slow down, and stay safe!
- Access to local businesses and residents within the work zones will be maintained.
- Unforeseen circumstances have the potential to impact all scheduled construction activities.
If you have any questions related to construction, please send an e-mail to [email protected]