The Connecticut Department of Transportation advises the following construction activities for the upcoming week:
Town of Haddam
- Crews will continue with bridge abutment rehabilitation.
- Crews will continue with retaining wall construction along the southside of Route 82.
Town of East Haddam
- Crews will be installing a new roadway drainage system.
- Crews will be removing wingwall.
- Crews will perform bottom chord repairs on Span 2.
- Crews will perform priority steel repairs on Span 2.
- Crews will perform surface prep followed by priming on Span 3.
- Crews will be installing conduit on Span 4.
- Crews will be working on Pier 1 rehabilitation.
- Crews will continue with repair work of the swing span mechanical system to return full functionality to swing operations.
- No nighttime work is anticipated.
- Lane closures on Route 82 will occur Monday through Friday with no time-of-day restrictions (contractor’s anticipated daily work hours are 7am-3pm). Traffic flaggers will coordinate the alternating traffic sequence over the bridge.
- No overnight closures are anticipated.
- The Swing Span incurred mechanical damage this week, the contractor is working diligently on repairs.
- Effective, Friday, April 14, 2023, the bridge tender will no longer perform openings to boat traffic, this will be in effect until further notice.
Please be advised:
- Weekend work is not anticipated.
- We are now sending TEXT Alerts for bridge closures and re-openings, closure cancellations, and any emergency closures. To Opt-in, text the word SWINGBRIDGE to 888777. (Message and Data rates may apply). In addition to SMS messages, if you would like to receive Swing Bridge open/closed status notices via email or a voice call from Everbridge, please click here to enter the required information. Message and data rates may apply. Reply HELP for help, STOP to Opt-out.
- Effective November 11, 2022, any trucks that exceed 16 tons are restricted from using the East Haddam Swing Bridge, until further notice. Routine enforcement by the Connecticut State Police and Department of Motor Vehicles will occur during this 16-ton restriction period.
- Project traffic WEBCAMS (one on each side of the river) are available 24/7 to monitor the traffic conditions at the bridge, the camera feeds are viewable from our project website homepage.
- Road signage will alert drivers to lane closures in the construction area. Please pay attention to road signage, slow down, and stay safe!
- Access to local businesses and residents within the work zones will be maintained.
- Unforeseen circumstances have the potential to impact all scheduled construction activities.
If you have any questions related to construction, please send an e-mail to [email protected]