The Connecticut Department of Transportation advises the following construction activities for the upcoming week:
Town of Haddam
· Crews will continue with retaining wall construction along the southside of Route 82.
Town of East Haddam
· Crews will be working on various utility layouts/installs.
· Crews will continue with bridge painting.
· Crews will be installing conduit on the bridge.
· Crews will continue with bridge sidewalk installation.
· Crews will be working on the bridge Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights this week. (bridge closures required each night)
63-Hour Bridge Closure:
· 63-hour full bridge closure to vehicles, cyclists, and pedestrians has been CANCELED this week.
Overnight Bridge Closures:
· The contractor will be performing overnight bridge closures this week as follows:
o Sun. night into Monday morning – 10pm to 6am
o Mon. night into Tues morning – 7pm to 6am
o Tues. night into Wed. morning – 7pm to 6am
o Wed. night into Thur. morning – 11pm to 6am
Any changes to these scheduled closures will be communicated.
Motorist alternative options to cross the Connecticut River during these overnight bridge closures will be as follows:
- Traveling to/from the South – Use the signed detour utilizing the Baldwin Bridge (I-95 Old Saybrook).
- Traveling to/from the North – utilize the Arrigoni Bridge (Middletown-Portland).
· Single lane closures on Route 82 will occur Monday through Thursday 9am-3pm within the project limits, traffic flaggers will coordinate the alternating traffic sequence.
· All lanes will be reopened and operational during peak traffic hours.
o Monday through Thursday at 10am, 1pm, and 4pm.
o Friday through Sunday at 10am, 1pm, 4pm, and 6pm.
These scheduled openings will be in place until further notice.
Boaters are advised that the swing span is still in a state of disrepair, if during an opening, something occurs that could potentially put the bridge at risk, all future openings will be canceled until further notice.
The tide clearance board is recommended as the best reference for gauging clearance at time of passage, the board is located on the bulkhead at Goodspeed, it has been adjusted to reflect the vertical clearances to the contractor’s suspended scaffold.
Navigational beacons have been installed on the bridge to designate the channel.
Please be advised:
· Weekend work is not anticipated.
· Click here to review the 2023 ‘63-hour’ bridge closure schedule.
· You can sign up for TEXT Alerts to receive notifications on bridge closures and re-openings, closure cancellations, and any emergency closures. To Opt-in, text the word SWINGBRIDGE to 888777. (Message and Data rates may apply). In addition to SMS messages, if you would like to receive Swing Bridge open/closed status notices via email or a voice call from Everbridge, please click here to enter the required information. Message and data rates may apply. Reply HELP for help, STOP to Opt-out.
· Effective November 11, 2022, any trucks that exceed 16 tons are restricted from using the East Haddam Swing Bridge, until further notice. Routine enforcement by the Connecticut State Police and Department of Motor Vehicles will occur during this 16-ton restriction period.
· Project WEBCAMS for monitoring traffic conditions on the bridge (one on each side of the river) and tide board clearance for maritime are available 24/7, the camera feeds are viewable from our project website homepage.
· Road signage will alert drivers to lane closures in the construction area. Please pay attention to road signage, slow down, and stay safe!
· Access to local businesses and residents within the work zones will be maintained.
· Unforeseen circumstances have the potential to impact all scheduled construction activities.
· The construction work is currently on schedule.
If you have any questions related to construction, please send an e-mail to [email protected]